Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Allanah has tagged me as part of Miguel Guhlin's tag :

List the top 5 to 10 things that you do almost every day that help you to be successful. They can be anything at all, but they have to be things that you do at least 4 or 5 times every week. Anything less than that may be a hobby that helps you out, but we are after the real day in and day out habits that help you to be successful.
Source: Around the Corner v2 - MGuhlin.net, Ed Tech Journeys' Guest Blogger, Sylvia Martinez (GenYES Blog) writing on this meme by Thea Westra, Simply Successful Secrets.

I would like to start by stating that I don't consider myself that successful, perhaps lucky would be a more accurate way to put it. I think that I have 'gotten away with it' as Americans would say ( that is by spreading a little talent a long way !!!)

Keeping in contact with 'the family'
These days as that becomes less easy ( 2 out of 3 daughters now live away from home - poor Laura still has to put up with the 'old folks' for a bit longer, but is planning her escape to University/College) but I do endeavour to keep in touch with everyone at least every other day - in fact in the middle of typing this at 10.55pm Wednesday 18th April, Sian (eldest)has just phoned (landline) from Carlisle (289 miles away). My one regret is that with such a hectic day to day life that I fail miserably when it comes to keeping in contact with my parents ( even worse when they only live 5 miles away!! ).

Keeping up with WWW and new tech tools
This is gradually taking over my daily routine, to such an extent that I get jumpy when somewhere where there is no wireless link for my laptop!!! There is so much happening so quickly in the web 2.0 ( soon to be web 3.0) world as new tools emerge that I feel the need to check on what gizmo's are out there, and how I might integrate them into the online 'stuff' that we do in school. I am also lucky in having a circle of online friends who are equally enthusiastic about trying out these things.

Cooking!!!
Not always through choice, but many years ago ( too many to remember) there was an unwritten rule in our household that whoever was home first should cook the evening meal - peculiarly that seemed quite often to be me!!!! Over the years subsequently I have become at home in the kitchen as well as the office - while I would never dare to refer to myself as a cook, and am certainly not the adventurous type. The family seem to eat it and I haven't poisoned anyone yet (to my knowledge). Yes I can do both custard and gravy without lumps ( not instant I hate them!!!). Not sure how it helps me to be successful, but what the heck!!

Being fascinated with the way children develop their ideas.
This happens almost every day in the classroom as my 7 or 8 year old pupils come to grips with the topics/subjects we cover in class, or even in an informal discussion. Watching children's eyes light up when something that was 'impossible' one minute become so obvious they want to show others how to do it, the next is a blessing that all teachers allowed and we should be eternally grateful. When a child who has been a reluctant reader and writer does a piece of work that they are so proud of they want to take it home to show their mum ( it happened today) - is priceless. I don't think any teacher could consider themselves successful if they didn't experience this.

Learn something new.
I don't think that many days go by when I don't find something new either to write about or comment about. I believe that keeping an enquiring mind is the most important gift of all. I intend resolutely to grow old dis-gracefully, and vow to try my best to keep learning right up to the point where I no longer care!!!

Seeing a grandchild smile
This is a bonus point, and is something which has only been available for us over the past 15 months since the birth of Abbie followed 12 months later by the arrival of Jacob and as any other grandparent can tell you - it more than makes your day, and certainly allows you to have a different outlook on the world - I think that it gives you a totally different outlook on life and the world of work...

Well that is my lot, I don't know how much of an incite they give into the 'real me' but it was interesting carrying out the exercise - I would like to tag :

Daniela Lucci Cordisco
Kylli Kaasuk
Joe Dale





A dear friend

It seems very apt to be writing this blog post in tribute to a dear, dear friend. The world has lost a true global educational  IT innovator...