Sunday, September 16, 2018

A working week with MV11 ONK

This week began the I-Miev's 'normal weekly routine. I was looking forward to the week somewhat through my hands in the event of 'Range Anxiety' setting in as it had on my return journey from Kingston Bagpuize to home last Thursday.

MV11 ONK has been christened Oink! by my middle daughter, I can't possibly think why? Does it look like a little piggy????
Oink has a range of around 58- 60  miles on a full charge on the flat at present ... Wales is NOT flat!

The week began in a fairly leisurely way for Oink! just the 5.2 miles into Abergavenny at just after 6:30am ....taking the new owner to the local pool for an early morning swim. We tested out the heated driver seat and it was TOASTY! Picking up the grandchildren and take them to school.  To work from school which adds another 2 miles. This was followed by an almost return home in order to deliver a chair based exercise class in a local nursing home. The reverse school run to finish before returning to base - all in all around 32 miles in the day ...EASY!

Tuesday started the same with swimming and the school run, however this was then followed by the round trip to Caerwent Community Centre, a round trip of just under 54 miles, taking us over the range by around 10 miles, plus the reverse school run and journey home had to be included....
The answer was to plug the 'Granny' cable into a socket in the kitchen and run the cable out of the window and to the car's Type 1 charger. 1.5 hours later after the end of the hockey session I had an almost 'fully charged' car for the return trip. I arrived home at the end of the working day still with plenty of charge in the batteries.

Wednesday began without an early morning swim, but the school run was included first thing in the morning. Back home for a quick charge for around 2 hours, then off to The Narth for our new social club. A round trip of over 50 miles this was followed by the reverse school run.....
The solution again was to reverse up to the kitchen window at the village hall and the to plug in the car. After the 2.5 hour social club I was back at 100% charge to finish my day.

Thursday was a day of local school run, office swimming and return school run... too easy for the I-Miev really!

Friday was another challenge, prior to changing cars I had agreed to pick up a local musician and his wife, 2 guitars, amplifier and music/mic stands and to take them to our club in Bulwark, Chepstow a round trip of 54 miles with some very severe uphill climbs en route....
I had my usual morning routine of swimming and school run, however as my club didn't start until 1:30 pm I was able to charge back to 100% during the morning at home on my wall charger...I wan't the only person charging on Friday morning, my neighbours were charging their Nissan Leaf also,,, very 21st Century!

Oink dealt with the hilly journey and a full car very well, we arrived with just under 50% remaining battery, I was able to pull up outside the kitchen window and with the cable through the window I go a charge, in fact we were back at 100% when it came time to return home.
The I-Miev is narrow and tall and the seats fold down to leave a flat floor in the boot. (We got an amp, 2 guitars and stands plus 1 wife in the back with ease!)

The week ended when I arrived back home at around 5pm with around 21 miles of range remaining. Oink! has easily managed the busy weekly work schedule thanks to the opportunity to charge on arrival at my venues throughout the week, as a result I did not experience and 'range anxiety' as far as I am aware throughout the week and I did not have to buy petrol (£1.32 litre) or diesel(£1.35 litre) this week, I did not pump any poisonous CO2 into the atmosphere as far as I am aware.... I would say that this makes the Mitsubishi I-Miev a success.... for the time being!

Watch an in depth video of Oink! from the seller here




No comments:

A dear friend

It seems very apt to be writing this blog post in tribute to a dear, dear friend. The world has lost a true global educational  IT innovator...